A New Hampshire school district will test all its drinking water after one faucet was found to have high levels of a toxic chemical that has raised health concerns.
Kearsarge Regional School District Superintendent Winfried Feneberg said Tuesday the district shut down all faucets at the middle school and is providing bottled water. The moves come after one faucet at the middle school was found to have levels of the chemical known as PFOA at 153 parts per trillion, well above the state drinking water standard.
Earlier this year, New Hampshire approved standard limiting PFOA to a maximum of 12 parts per trillion and 15 parts per trillion for another called PFOS. That’s far lower than the 70 parts per trillion levels that the Environmental Protection Agency advised for these chemicals.