Portsmouth police officers rescues disabled man from burning condo
PORTSMOUTH - The 911 call came in just before 5 this morning. A resident of a multi-unit condo complex on Sagamore Avenue said there was smoke coming into their home and smoke alarms sounding.
Portsmouth Police Officer Arron Stacy was on patrol nearby. Patrol Capt. Frank Warchol said, "As he was getting there, he was receiving information there was an elderly male inside."
That elderly man was also disabled. Officer Stacy made it to the scene before firefighters, so he made the decision to go inside.
"He made a risky decision," Warchol said. "He located the gentleman in a bed and was able to put him in a wheelchair and get him out of the building."
The Portsmouth Fire Department said the fire started outside at a propane line. They say falling ice ruptured the line. The fire burned up the condo's back outer wall but started to burn through to the inside of the home.
"It could have been worse," Fire Chief Steven Achilles said. "Just before five in the morning people are sleeping. Fires that start outside buildings usually get a huge headway."
Officer Stacy's department calling his quick thinking actions heroic.
"This is fantastic work on his part," Warchol said. "Saving a life for any of our officers is a pretty big deal. Pretty much a hero on our part."