Officials say cause of Concord apartment fire was accidental
Written by NH1 News on .
CONCORD — A two-alarm fire at an apartment building that displaced nearly 30 residents was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials.
The Concord Fire Department said the cause of the fire at 4 Garvins Falls Rd. was accidental, and that smoking materials fell through the cracks into the building's basement where it ignited dry leaves and other combustible items.
The fire traveled to other parts of the building through concealed spaces between walls.
When firefighters arrived at about 11:48 p.m., they mounted an aggressive attack and began opening the concealed wall spaces. They said they encountered heavy fire at times, but that the building sprinkler system in coordination with their aggressive attack prevented a catastrophic fire.
“Sprinklers don’t cover all of the spaces in a building,” said Deputy Fire Chief Sean Toomey. “In this case, it took a considerable amount of effort to stop the fire from spreading through the voids and save the building.”
Firefighters said the fire only damaged two apartments in the complex, but that power was shut off for the entire building as a precautionary measure.
The Concord Fire Department also thanked the American Red Cross for assisting in the relocation of residents in the apartment house.