Photo — Chuck Underhill/Facebook
Mother of Dead Walpole Teen Says Father Injured Trying to Save Their Son
Photo credit: Chuck Underhill/Facebook
WALPOLE — The teen who perished in a fire on Monday has been identified.
An autopsy performed Wednesday determined 18-year-old Daniel Underhill, of Walpole, died of smoke inhalation and his death was ruled accidental.
The fire is still under investigation by members of the New Hampshire State Fire Marshal’s Office, the North Walpole Fire Department, and the Walpole Police Department.
Gloria Gaudet Underhill, Daniel's mother, has used Facebook to keep the community updated with news of his death.
According to Underhill, her husband Chuck Underhill sustained injuries trying to save their son from the fire.
Gloria Gaudet Underhill also mentioned that when the coroner called the family, they said Daniel received post-mortem thermal burns.
The family still has their two dogs but their cats have not yet been found.
Underhill was a student at the high school in the Fall Mountain Regional School District. FMRHS is offering support services for their students.
The family plans to hold a funeral for Daniel during the weekend of Feb. 17 or 18, at Westminster Congregational Church, Westminster, Vermont, according to a Facebook post.
For those interested in donating to the family, an “Underhill Family Fund” account has been set up at the Savings Bank of Walpole and a Gofundme page has been created.