Owner Of Dog Killed By Ground Electrocution Warns Others
BOSTON (AP) — A Boston woman says she wants to warn fellow dog owners about the dangers of possible electrocution.
Mary Beth Begley tells WHDH-TV that her dog, Bob, was recently electrocuted and killed by a stray voltage under Southampton Street. The woman says she and her dog were approaching a light control box when Bob suddenly collapsed.
Boston Public Works says the stray voltage issue was caused by a corroded grounding lug. Begley says she was told that de-icing materials used during the winter can deteriorate or corrode wiring.
A man reported that his two dogs were electrocuted two months ago when they stepped on a manhole cover near the Adams Street Bridge.
Public works spokesman Chris Coakley says the department is saddened by the incident and has made the area safe.