How to Deep-Fry a Turkey and Not Set Yourself on Fire
We've heard the warning before ... Don't deep-fry a frozen turkey.
But seriously. Don't do it.
In the video above released by the Wayland (Mass.) Fire Department on its Facebook page in 2015.
A firefighter drops a turkey into the oil, and boom.
That's a lot of fire.
Imagine if it was near a home or — let's imagine — a pile leaves, without a fire extinguisher.
The department also shared some tips after the video about keeping safe when frying turkeys.
- Thaw the turkey completely
- Use the proper temperature
- Use a properly sized turkey
- Use the proper amount of oil
- Keep a fire extinguisher ready
- Follow the fryer's manufacturer's instructions