Firefighters urge citizens to check stain labels after car fire in NH
PETERBOROUGH — A car fire reportedly caused by the improper disposal of dirty rags.
According to a Peterborough Fire and Rescue Facebook post, the burnt vehicle had burned itself out prior to arrival.
Peterborough firefighters say that the homeowner arrived as crews were leaving the scene.
The owner of the vehicle told responders that he had been staining his deck earlier that day and sealed the used rags in a plastic bag. The bag was left on the seat of the now charcoal vehicle, which was allegedly the cause of the ignition.
Fire officials urge citizens to check the labels for proper rag disposal instructions. Even water based stains can ignite if not properly disposed of.