NH AG: Dad Kills 6-Year-Old Son, Himself By Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
DERRY — A man killed himself and his 6-year-old son by sealing up a bedroom with blankets and duct tape and lighting grills to fill the room with carbon monoxide.
Derry police arrived at 30 Kendall Pond Road, Unit 35, around 12:30 p.m. Monday for a welfare check. Officers had to force entry into the home where they found 39-year-old Matthew Edmunds and his 6-year-old son Preston Connor Edmunds dead in a locked bedroom.
Before entering the bedroom, officers found a sign hanging from the living room ceiling fan stating police would find "me and my son” in the bedroom and that they needed to be careful of “dangerous carbon monoxide levels."
Autopsies performed by Chief Medical Examiner Jennie V. Duval determined father and son died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Preston's death has been ruled a homicide and Edmunds death is a suicide.
The New Hampshire Attorney General's office continues to investigate, but no further information is expected until toxicology reports are complete in several months.
Edmunds had another son die in a tragic accident in 2009, according to reports published in the Eagle-Tribune and New Hampshire Union Leader. Connor Edmunds, who was 6-years-old at the time, fell through ice that had formed on the surface of his grandparents' in-ground pool on March 28, 2009.