Concord FD urges safety ahead of cold snap
CONCORD- Downtown Concord was quiet Tuesday evening but a few brave souls went out for dinner shopping, including John Dowleski of South Carolina.
"We're out in this nice warm weather," Dowleski said.
He may not be from New England but his sarcasm could be. He's now getting a taste of winter in New Hampshire.
"It's very cold here I'm used to 50 degree weather," Dowleski said.
Ron Boggs is from North Carolina, he's also learning what January in Concord is like.
"It's freezing. It's not that bad when the wind doesn't blow. When the wind blows it's pretty bad," Boggs said.
These Southern imports are here on business with a Massachusetts guy who think it's warm.
Downtown Concord was quiet as temperatures dropped in the evening, but some businesses did well earlier today. Some could be getting shopping done before it gets even colder.
As temperatures drop, Concord firefighters want everyone to practice safe heating in their homes. Concord Fire Marshal Sean Brown urges common sense.
"Make sure you keep combustibles away from space heaters," Brown said.
It's also important to keep up with chimney care, there were 380 chimney fires in New Hampshire in 2014.
"Excessive buildup of creosote in there which can lead to a chimney fire," Brown said.
See more of Concord FD's tips on their Facebook page.